Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Run (out of) The Business...

Finally the day has arrived when I am getting out of business. It’s time to say bye to Alliance Maintenance. Confused…?

It’s been almost 1.5 years since I am working for same client, doing almost same kind of work. Nothing seems to be changing; even the cubicle. People around me kept changing. Every time when I start feeling that I got good friends, they go out of project, or they quit. They either get a transfer or move out into some other project. People now recognize me as one of the oldest person in the project although I am just 24.

Few days’ back my fellow colleague came to my desk, saw me working hard to fix a UI related issue. Initially I didn’t notice him, but after a few minutes I turned around and saw him staring me with sympathy. He had seen me working hard on every issue that came up. We started chatting. After 10-15 min of general discussion about movies, weekend, Bangalore and other stuff, a question suddenly popped up… “Isn’t it boring to be in the same project doing same kind of work for more than a year? Don’t we need a change?”…
Interacting with other colleagues, I found out that it was not ‘only me’ who was fed-up with the application, everybody was. Everybody had complaints. I could see few of them complaining about the application code being vast. Every time they tried to dig into the code for a new change request, it seemed to be totally new application. I didn’t feel they were telling something new coz I have been playing with this code for past 2 years and believe me I have just covered 75% of it.
During coffee break at around 11 AM, I usually read news paper with coffee. I took a magazine instead. I was turning pages coz there wasn’t anything interesting. I kept on turning pages, and suddenly I stopped at the astrology section. For my sun sign, it said “This is an excellent time to make a change which will benefit your career, getting together with colleagues, or getting to know your superiors on a more personal, friendly basis is quite likely at this time.” That sounds positive; I wished something similar to happen today!!
It was 4 PM and my Manager came to my desk and asked if we can talk for few minutes. I thought it might be related to some new process being introduced in project and he wanted me to take it up. We went to a meeting room and the conversation started. There were few general questions about my health, work and other general stuff. The conversation went on for some time. Now it was time to get to the point. He asked me if I was interested to move into another project which is supposed to start in a week or so. It is supposed to be a one man at offshore handling everything and my manager will be at onsite. Suddenly I remembered the magazine stuff. The predictions were correct. And main thing, I am getting out of the project.


Yippee…!!




Now it’s time to face some new challenges and this is the first time I am reporting to someone with whom I won’t be interacting Face to Face. Hope this turns out to be Lucky project for me in terms of growth, opportunities and career perspective.

3 comments:

Amit said...

Congrats dude...You atleast got a change of project. But you still have to get rid of the client. :). But anyways something changed in office that was to your liking. :). Just dont get bored with life dude. As far as i know you, you are very moody and i always that you have the best moods in life and not the bad ones. And look forward to life. Everything will work out. Whatever happens, happens for the good. :). Here's wishing better days ahead.

Anonymous said...

Congrats..:) Belive me buddy, change is what you see and how you see! Whats around you is hardly a parameter, they are just temperory excuses to lure your mind... Mind can play strange games on you-- changes or not...

Unknown said...

In one of the movie, "namak halal" big B says "I can taak in english, i can waak in english, i can run in english....because english is a phunny language". so do i, as today i am deplorable to really "run out, of the business". Allstate who is one of the unequivocal, is now obscured. The policies are redesigned and enigmatic. Will we witness flood gates opening up as onsite oppertunities as we perceived last year, when managers were hunting for H1B. Are raptors still hunting?