Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year..? EVERYDAY....is NEW

Nothing is different today, than yesterday, except for the fact that we ALL are marking a new calendar and calling today, NEW. Another year is starting and another one has ended. It is time to reflect on our past and make new hopes for the future. Some of us will make resolutions and others will just keep on doing what we are doing. Whatever it is that you decide to do, I hope that 2008 will be filled with good health, prosperity, love, and new horizons. It has been a year with lots of up’s and down in everyone’s life. We always remember the good things at the end and that is the way we it has to be.


It was Friday evening, and as it’s the end of the week I was on my way back home at around 7.30. On the way back to my room, I was thinking of how to celebrate on the New Year (NY) eve. Bhim had called me on Thursday and had asked me to come to Bangalore. He too was coming to Bangalore to celebrate as he feels much at home in Bangalore (BTM to be specific). Till Thursday end of day I was in the mood to be in Bangalore on 31st. Since I didn’t get leave on Monday I had to drop the plan. But guess what I didn’t get to regret for dropping the plan. On Saturday Vikram called in the evening and asked me if they can come to Mangalore to celebrate NY. I said “WOW” and asked them to drop in and stop pooling any more ideas for NY.

It was Sunday morning around 8.00 AM; Anand called me and said they are in Mangalore. As typical Hubli guys, they were in a hotel having cup of Tea. Finally at around 8.30, I heard people talking in Hubli-Dharwad Kannada in high pitch in our apartment. Who else, it was Anand, Bhimanna, Pavan, Vikram and Vinay. I was more than happy to see all of them in Mangalore. Though I couldn’t give a perfect red carpet welcome, the red colored door mat was always there. He he he. Sorry for that PJ, I know it was really pathetic.

Saturday night I was searching for the places to visit over the internet. I found out few places but didn’t finalize anything. Since we didn’t have much time and wanted to have fun and enjoy every moment, we decided to go to Bekal Fort. 80KM from Mangalore is this beautiful fort on the sea shore in Kerala. Bekal fort, the largest and the best-preserved fort in Kerala, lies 16 Kms south of Kasaragod on the national highway at the northern tip of the state. The fort, a circular imposing structure of laterite rising 130 ft. above sea level, stands on a 35 acre headland that runs into the Arabian sea. This fort is more than 300 years old and is believed to have been built in the 1650's by Sivappa Naik of the Ikkeri dynasty. We were 7 including me and my roommate Pranav. Somehow we got one more bike and were all set to leave at around 11. As everyone was hungry, we had our late breakfast at “Utsav” and were back in an hour, picked our bag and were off to Bekal Fort.

It was warm and sunny day, just the right amount of breeze, and bikes in right hands; perfect for a long ride… It took almost 2 hours to reach Bekal Fort. We parked our bikes, paid the entry fees and went in. Since I had been to this place before, I was the one who was guiding all of us to right spots. We took lot of snaps (I know everyone has changed their orkut Pic after this trip). It was really getting warm and everyone was thirsty it was time for a nice Lemon Soda. We felt better, and we went to the beach outside the fort and took some snaps. I could see and hear the violent waves making roaring sound when they hit the rocks. It was amazing to watch. The beach was a bit rough and we decided not to get into water. We went a bit further and found some shade under a rock. We took rest for some time and had wafers and cake. Now it was time to go back all the way till the entrance. Everyone was tired and sweating and wanted to take bath. We washed our face, went back to parking place, exchanged bikes and we were on the move.

On the way back, we stopped at a place near to Kumbla. “Back waters of Arabian sea”. Though we couldn’t get into water, it was a nice place to visit. It was around 6 and we wanted to be on the beach to see the sunset. We rushed towards Kumbla and went to the nearest beach. We were just in time and didn’t miss the sunset. It was nice to see the sunset and took lot of pics. After a long photo session, we decided to get into water though we didn’t carry any spare clothes. It was nice to watch everyone freak out and having fun. Since it was getting dark, we decided to get back to Mangalore and it took almost 1 and half hours. It was yet another amazing bike trip for me.

After coming back to room, it was time for some booze. We got some beer and hard drinks at home and the party went long till 3.00 AM. (Not getting into details of this session).

Monday morning. I was tired after trip and was in no mood to go to office. But I had to, so I took a bath and went to office. By 12.45 everyone was ready and hungry and we had a good South Indian Lunch at “Janata deluxe”. After heavy lunch Anand, Bhimanna, Pavan, Vikram and Vinay had decided to go to Udupi. All Roads in Udipi lead to the large open square in the city centre where the krishna Temple is located. This is the focal point of all activity, spirtual and commercial, in this pilgrim town. The famous 13th - century Vaishnava teacher, Madhava, is believed to have founded the temple by installing an image of Krishna he had rescued from a shipwreck. Parked outside the temple are the festival chariots with dome - like towers made of bamboo and covered with colourful textiles. The distance between from Mangalore to Udipi is 58 km (36 miles). And then, go to Malpe beach situated 66 kms north of Mangalore, near Manipal. The peaceful surroundings, makes this beach a favourite holiday spot. The uninhibited St. Mary's Island, just a boat ride away has a beach and an impressive geological formation of basalt rock pillars into the sea. I was sad that I couldn’t go with them.

Monday evening I finished off my work for the day and came back home with my roomi Suraj. We decided to go to Pub nearby as soon as these people come back. It was 8.30 when these guys returned from Udupi. They took bath and were all set to celebrate NY at the Pub “Froth on Top”. Spent some good time there and at the tick of 12 midnight, it was time for some dancing, shouting and excitement. We enjoyed the fireworks and wished everyone a bright and happy New Year.

The enjoyment continued till 1 AM at the PUB. I paid the bill and on the way back home, we took a diversion and went to Sultan Battery, a place on the river bank where we could find some peace. It is a watch tower constructed by Tipu Sultan and is situated 4 km from the City. Built in black stones, it gives the impression of a miniature fortress with its arrangements for mounting cannons all-round. It’s one of my favorite places in Mangalore and I love this place at night. We were talking about all the good times that we spent. It was almost 2 AM when we decided to get back to the room. Eveyone was tired and we slept as soon as we reaced home.
1st Jan 2008. It was time for me to say bye to Anand, Bhim, Pavan, Vikram and Vinay. We had lunch at a Dhaba near to my place and went to bus stand with luggage. They were off to Bangalore at 2 PM. I wished these 2 days of total fun never ended.
Anyways, Happy new year to everyone and guys (Anand, Bhim, Pavan, Vikram, Vinay, Suraj, Pranav), you ROCK...!!

2 comments:

anand said...

Rocking Trip !! with Rocking people..Cheers to all of my friends and Special thanks to Nautankki Pranav, Handsome Suraj and Smarty Tabib :-)

Amit said...

Well well well!!! i really miss being back home. And look at what i missed. A great new year. Atleast the beginning. :). The blog tells me about all the fun that they had. All i have to say is that Great friends make the differenc between a special day and an ordinary one.